Europe’s Biggest Gaming Conference: Gamescom 2018 What to Expect?
Everything You Need to Know: Gamescom 2018
We are now closer to the world’s biggest European gaming conference this year, Gamescom 2018. For sure, both the media and the public are beyond excited to come and test the newest and most exciting video game titles from the most successful publishers in the world.
Gamescom allows the players and all its visitors to witness face-to-face the hottest upcoming games in action. But not only that, everyone can also get their hands on with the new titles. And sometimes, there will be new games premiering right at the event!
Usually, Gamescom is a good place for the publishers and developers to share more updates on their E3 announcements. And more importantly, Gamescom will serve as a great exposure for their freshly baked games, offering new trailers, demos, and other details that were slightly teased at E3 2018.
We know that all of you are excited about this another big gaming event of the year. With that, Play-Asia.com has rounded up all the things that we can expect from this year’s Gamescom. From the news, lineups, announcements, and more.
When is Gamescom 2018?
Gamescom 2018 will run from August 21 until August 25. The show floor will be open to both media and the public to test out the latest games and technologies.
The opening times of the event is listed as follows. Please note that all the times listed below are in Central European Summer Time (CEST), which is one hour ahead of British Summer Time (BST).
For trade visitors:
- Tuesday 21 August – 9 am to 7 pm (business center and public halls)
- Wednesday 22 August – 9 am to 8 pm (business center and public halls)
- Thursday 23 August – 9 am to 8 pm (business center and public halls)
- Friday 24 August – 9 am to 8 pm (public halls only)
- Saturday 25 August – 9 am to 8 pm (public halls only)
For public attendees:
- Wednesday 22 August – 10 am to 8 pm (public halls only)
- Thursday 23 August – 10 am to 8 pm (public halls only)
- Friday 24 August – 9 am to 8 pm (public halls only)
- Saturday 25 August – 9 am to 8 pm (public halls only)
Unfortunately, day tickets for the August 25th (Saturday) event are already sold out, but there are still public admissions available for Wednesday and Thursday. Afternoon tickets and family tickets for certain days are also available. You can buy your tickets at the online Gamescom ticket shop.
#gamescom tickets are only still available for Wednesday and Thursday!☝️⚠️
— 🔜 gamescom (@gamescom) August 8, 2018
What can we Expect to See at Gamescom 2018?
Following the aftermath of this year’s E3, we’re anticipating a handful of significant updates from big publishers and their library of games scheduled to launch this year and beyond. So now, let’s start to see what we can expect from each of the publishers that we’re going to witness in this big event.
Do not miss the fun at Nintendo’s booth! Be ready for various treats that await you. At the very start of August, Nintendo announced their lineup of games for the big show.
You can find below the list of titles that will be playable on the show floor:
- Dark Souls Remastered
- Dragon Ball FighterZ
- FIFA 19
- Killer Queen Black
- Starlink: Battle for Atlas
- Super Mario Party
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
In addition, the Nintendo UK YouTube Channel will feature a deeper look at a variety of already-announced upcoming games. Get ready to witness some series of videos recorded at its RedCube studio on the Gamescom 2018 show floor during the week.
New gameplay from these titles will be uncovered: Super Mario Paty, Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna – The Golden Country, and Marvelous’ Daemon X Machina featuring producer Kenichiro Tsukuda.
Are you waiting for some titles of Bandai Namco to be playable in the big show? Well, it’s a good thing that Bandai Namco Entertainment Europe already announced its playable games for Gamescom 2018.
Moreover, Bandai Namco Entertainment Europe Vice President of marketing and digital, Herve Hoerdt, unveiled in a press release that they will be announcing a brand new-co-publishing project at the show. Who’s excited about this revelation?
While waiting for it to be announced at the event, here’s the list of 11 titles that will be playable at the event. Choose your favorite game now.
- Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown (PS4, Xbox One, PC) – Providing the ﬁercest air combat experience ever, Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown puts players in the cockpit of the most advanced war planes ever developed. Different weathers and flight conditions put players’ skill, dexterity and ingenuity to the ultimate test.
- Code Vein (PS4, Xbox One, PC) – Featuring a story-driven connected dungeon experience, the third-person action RPG lets players create their own avatars and choose their partners as they venture out into a dystopian world of destruction. It’s here where players will find themselves up against the Lost, a group of fiendish ghouls devoid of any remaining humanity who will stop at nothing to satisfy their hunger.
- Dragon Ball FighterZ (Switch) – Already one of the most acclaimed fighting games of the year, Dragon Ball FighterZ is coming to Nintendo Switch on 28th September, 2018. Developed by Arc System Works, a celebrated developer of classic 2D fighting titles, the game delivers an explosive, action-packed experience that combines gorgeous 2D fighting visuals with advanced character models and visual effects that bring to life the classic Dragon Ball art style.
- Jump Force (PS4, Xbox One, PC) – To celebrate the 50th anniversary of Shonen Jump magazine, Bandai Namco Entertainment brings together some of the world’s most famous manga and anime franchises into the ultimate cross-over experience pitting iconic characters against each other and doing battle in real locations from across the world.
- My Hero: One’s Justice (PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC) – Fan favorite characters from the popular Weekly Shonen Jump manga series come to life in My Hero: One’s Justice. Play as All Might, Izuku Midoriya or Katuski Bakugo to protect people from evil, or play as the Villains with Himiko Toga, Dabi or Stain and unleash your vision of Justice to the world!
- Naruto to Boruto: Shinobi Striker (PS4, Xbox One, PC) – Naruto is back! This game lets players fight with their favorite characters in exciting all-new 3D environments. Players will be able to create and personalize their own Shinobi, choosing their face, attire and even Jutsu. Players will also be able to experience team battles, choosing their favorite fighting style and taking the battle to the online arena.
- One Piece: World Seeker (PS4, Xbox One, PC) – The next big adventure of the iconic Straw Hat Pirates puts players into Luffy’s shoes. Experience a huge and immersive new world to explore, battle and help the Straw Hat crew discover the secret lying in the depths of Jail Island.
- Soulcalibur VI (PS4, Xbox One, PC) – Two decades after its first iteration, Soulcalibur VI returns to its roots while bringing brand-new gameplay features, new stories and new characters to the fight. Soulcalibur VI allows players to battle across its signature 16th century stages and experience the epic struggle for the two legendary swords with a complete roster of returning, iconic Soulcalibur characters, as well as newcomers!
- Unknown Title #1
- Unknown Title #2
- Unknown Title #3
-via Bandai Namco
Meanwhile, Sega announced that they will have a big debut for Football Manager 2019 game. In fact, they will also have the ESPN Football Journalist, Raphael Honigstein. Fans could ask the Football Journalist a few questions.
After the Q&A with Raphael, fans can line up in front of a Football Manager-themed press wall for a souvenir photo and take home a Football Manager notebook as well. However, Football Manager 2019 will not be playable in the event.
You can check out the line up of Sega in their Deep Silver booth:
- Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise (PS4)
- Persona 3: Dancing in Moonlight (PS4, PS Vita)
- Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight (PS4, PS Vita)
- Team Sonic Racing (PS4, XBO, Switch, PC)
- Total War: Three Kingdoms (PC)
- Valkyria Chronicles 4 (PS4, XBO, Switch, PC)
Do not miss Square Enix’s Products booth for they will displaying various Square Enix goodies for sale. This includes figures, accessories, jewelry, board games and other popular Square Enix brands that you will surely love.
In addition, the company will be offering exclusively signed records. And there will be a special area as well where visitors can play Final Fantasy Card game and a new board game.
Here’s the list of their line up:
- Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age (PS4, PC) – At the Square Enix booth, RPG fans can also experience the all-new adventure in the timeless Dragon Quest series, Dragon Quest XI with an extensive playable demo which showcases the many content improvements and brand-new voice-over ahead of the game’s release.
- Final Fantasy XIV Online (PS4, PC) – Critically-acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV Online returns to Gamescom once more, with intense challenges and great prizes in tow. A special promotion for show attendees offers anyone registering at the booth a free copy of the Final Fantasy XIV Online Starter Edition, while an exclusive program of stage shows with the makers of the game including Producer and Director Naoki Yoshida and Sound Director Masayoshi Soken will be taking place throughout the week, all culminating in a big cosplay competition on Saturday 25th August. Finally, on Friday 24th August and Saturday 25th August the Final Fantasy XIV Eorzean Symphony will have its European premiere at the Konzerthaus Dortmund. More information on this event can be found here.
- Kingdom Hearts III (PS4, Xbox One) – Gamescom attendees are invited to share the magic of Kingdom Hearts III with two playable demos, a boss battle against the Rock Titan from Walt Disney Animation Studios’ Hercules and uncovering the Toy Box world from Toy Story alongside Woody and Buzz. Visitors can also take part in prime picture opportunities including a giant Keyblade and becoming a real life toy in a replica of Andy’s room from the Disney Pixar classic Toy Story.
- Just Cause 4 (PS4, Xbox One, PC) – This year, fans will also be treated to an exclusive presentation of Just Cause 4 at the Square Enix booth. Just Cause 4 takes the series’ incredible destruction and unique physics to a whole new level with the introduction of fully simulated tornadoes and other Extreme Weather events. Rico Rodriguez returns in Just Cause 4 with his trademark parachute, wingsuit and, of course his grapple hook, now enhanced with new functionality and fully customisable. Making it the most powerful and creative tool the player has ever had.
- Life is Strange 2 (PS4, Xbox One, PC) – Adventure-Fans rejoice: Life is Strange 2 is coming to Gamescom 2018 as a world premiere. Not only will the development team share all the details about the highly anticipated sequel to the award winning and critically acclaimed Life is Strange – it will be playable for the first time at the Sqaure Enix booth on the Gamescom show-floor.
- Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PS4, Xbox One, PC) – The themes of Shadow of the Tomb Raider have their influence on the appearance of the Square Enix booth as well: the area is set up in the style of an imposing Mayan pyramid with numerous game stations. Visitors can get an even more intense feel for Lara Croft’s biggest adventure yet with a demo version of the action adventure.
-via Square Enix
THQ Nordic has announced the lineup of titles that they will bring to Gamescom 2018 together with a promising trailer that will definitely stir up THQ Nordic’s fans.
Check out the list of games and the trailer below.
- Biomutant (PS4, Xbox One, PC) – Playable
- Darksiders III (PS4, Xbox One, PC) – Playable
- Fade to Silence (PS4, Xbox One, PC) – Playable
- Generation Zero (PS4, Xbox One, PC) – Playable
- Townsmen VR (Steam VR, Oculus, Vive, Windows Mixed Reality)
- Wreckfest (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
- Unannounced Game #1 – “A world exclusive announcement which will break cover during the official Gamescom opening ceremony”
- Unannounced Game #2
Playdius Games also has their trailer that highlights their lineup for this years Gamescom 2018. Check out the list of games below and the trailer.
- AWAY: Journey to the Unexpected (PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC)
- Chroniric (iOS, Android)
- The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet of Chaos (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
- Edge of Eternity (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
- Hover (PS4, Xbox One, Switch)
- Old School Musical (Switch, PC)
- Spitkiss (iOS, Android)
- STAY (iOS, Android)
Of course, Ubisoft won’t be out of the picture on this largest consumer video game events in history. Ubisoft announced that players will be able to get first chance to test and play on the following game titles:
- Assassin’s Creed Odyssey
- Skull & Bones
- Trials Rising
- Tom Clancy’s The Division 2
- Anno 1800
- StarLink: Battle for Atlas
And here’s more that you shouldn’t miss in Ubisoft’s show:
Plus, the new Breach Mode from For Honor: Marching Fire will be on show, along with Rainbow Six Siege’s Year 3 Season 3 Operation Grim Sky. For these competitive titles, gamers will be able to either go hands-on, or watch high-level show matches featuring some of the world’s best players.
There’s a packed schedule of stage activities too, including exclusive presentations for Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle’s new Donkey Kong Adventure expansion, The Crew 2’s first free update Gator Rush, and performances from Just Dance 2019.
As if that wasn’t enough, anyone who takes a demo at the Ubisoft booth during the show will receive a collection of in-game rewards courtesy of the Ubisoft Club.
In the Family and Friends section (Hall 10.2), gamers of all ages can take a spectacular journey into the heart of ancient Egypt with Assassin’s Creed: Discovery Tour, or show off their grooviest moves in the live Just Dance 2019 World Cup qualifiers.
Plus, Ubisoft will also have their own booth (Hall 5.2, booth 15), where players can buy their latest Ubicollectibles. These include pre-release figures from Series 2 of the Six Collection, characters from Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, and Anno 1880 apparel.
If you are asking if Microsoft will hold a traditional press conference at this year’s Gamescom, the answer is, no. Instead, the company will hold an Inside Xbox live stream at the show on August 21st, Tuesday.
Presumably, the company will also debut the Elite 2 controller, new hardware deals and “a few surprises” at the event.
Here’s the schedule of the live stream in your timezone:
- UK: 3.30pm BST
- Central Europe: 4.30pm CEST
- East Coast USA: 10.30am EDT
- West Coast USA: 7.30am PDT
More information will also be revealed in the following titles:
Sony had a quieter show at E3 this year, so that means they could be ready to share more into Gamescom. We expect to see more of Spider-Man launch trailer or the likes since its dropping on September 7. Also, maybe we can hear more about Days Gone launching in 2019, after a long development period and a few delays.
EA usually puts up a massive stand in the middle of the show floor and tempt people to go over its booth and try out with their latest multiplayer titles. Most probably, this year at Gamescom will be no different. You can expect to play FIFA 19, Battlefield V and Anthem too.
The two confirmed titles that will be showing off at the Capcom’s show are Devil May Cry 5 and Resident Evil 2. Apart from that, of course, we are hoping to hear more from them about their other upcoming titles. Maybe Monster Hunter World content or Darkstalkers can be a good talk.
So, apart from the aforementioned companies, we’re also going to see some of the developers and publishers exhibit at the event too.
Here’s the list of the companies that will be present so far:
- 1C Company
- 505 games
- CD Projekt
- Deep Silver (Koch Media)
- Epic Games
- Focus Home Interactive
- Green Man Gaming
- Team 17
- Turtle Beach
And, try not to get lost in the massive hall of Gamescom 2018 venue! More updates will be posted here at Play-Asia.com once the event takes place. Stay with us!
Want to know more about our exclusive deals and upcoming sales? Sign up for our newsletter and be the first to know all the great deals we can offer!