Let’s Take a Look on the Top 10 Best Video Games of 2018
Top 10 Best Games of 2018
In a few days, we are going to close the red curtains of the year 2018 and we welcome a brand new year with upcoming brand new games to showcase and to play for 2019. However, before we say goodbye, 2018 is one of the best years for the video game industry as tons of best-selling titles that are loved by the gamers and the general public.
Without any further ado, here are the Top 10 Best Games of 2018!
God of War
PlayStation 4™ – US, EU, JAPAN & ASIA
Santa Monica Studio‘s pride has been on top because God of War has won several awards. It was released on April 20, 2018, for PlayStation 4 and it’s the eighth installment in the God of War series. God of War is loosely based on Norse mythology rather than the previous games based on Greek mythology.
The main protagonist Kratos, and his son Atreus, journeys to fulfill the promise of his dead second wife and Atreus’ mother. Her promise is to spread her ashes at the highest peak of the nine realms. However, Kratos is cautious about what’s his true nature especially his divine nature to his son. How would things when Atreus learns that he’s a God?
God of War received universal acclaims from the video game critics because of its narrative, world design, art direction, graphics, characters, and combat system. Because of this, God of War became the best-selling game in the God of War franchise and one of the best-selling PS4 games of all time. Although it’s only released this year, this game has received tons of awards including Game of the Year and Best Game Direction at The Game Awards 2018, Best Action and Adventure Game at 2018’s The Independent Game Developers’ Association and Best Storytelling and PlayStation Game of the Year at the 2018 Golden Joystick Awards.
- A New Beginning – His vengeance against the gods of Olympus far behind him, Kratos now lives as a man in the lands of Norse Gods and monsters. It is in this harsh, unforgiving world that he must fight to survive… and teach his son to do the same
- Second Chances – As mentor and protector to a son determined to earn his respect, Kratos is faced with an unexpected opportunity to master the rage that has long defined him. Questioning the dark lineage he’s passed on to his son, he hopes to make amends for the shortcomings of his past
- Midgard and Beyond – Set within the untamed forests, mountains, and realms of Norse lore, God of War features a distinctly new setting with its own pantheon of creatures, monsters, and gods
- Vicious, Physical Combat – With an intimate, over-the-shoulder free camera that brings the action closer than ever, combat in God of War is up close, frenetic, and unflinching. Kratos’ axe —powerful, magic and multi-faceted – is a brutal weapon as well as a versatile tool for exploration
Red Dead Redemption II
PlayStation 4™ & Xbox One™ – US, EU, AU, JAPAN & ASIA
Rockstar‘s Red Dead Redemption 2 is included in the list for the Best Games of 2018. This is a Western-themed action-adventure game. It was released last October 26th, 2018 for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. This broke several records and it became the second-biggest launch in entertainment history, behind Grand Theft Auto V. With this masterpiece from Rockstar, Red Dead Redemption 2 is also the biggest weekend launch in history earning $725 million worldwide since its opening weekend launch.
After a robbery goes seriously wrong in the western town of Blackwater, Arthur Morgan with the Van der Linde gang are forced to flee the town. The federation agents and best bounty hunters in America follow their footsteps to capture them. The Van der Linde gang must rob, steal, and fight across the mountainous heartland of America in order to survive. However, there are instances where the gang is falling apart. Arthur must have a choice between his own paradigm or the loyalty to his gang which cherished and raised him.
Red Dead Redemption 2 is also praised by the critics on the game’s story, characters, open world, and level of detail. In various gaming critics and websites, it received a number of perfect scores and awards. It won several awards such as the Critic’s Choice Award at the 2018 Golden Joystick Awards and Best Narrative, Best Score/Music, Best Audio Design, and Best Performance at The Game Awards 2018.
- Developed by the creators of Grand Theft Auto V and Red Dead Redemption, Red Dead Redemption 2 is an epic tale of life in America’s unforgiving heartland
- The game’s vast and atmospheric world will also provide the foundation for a brand new online multiplayer experience
- The Van der Linde Gang – A gang of outlaws, renegades, and misfits, bonded together under the charismatic and idealistic Dutch van der Linde. They have chosen to live outside the law and now fear it may be catching up with them
- The Frontier, Cities & Towns – Discover some of the towns dotted across the vast and varied landscape of Red Dead Redemption 2; from the forests of West Elizabeth to the mountains of Ambarino to the plains of New Hanover to the swamps of Lemoyne
- Wildlife – The diverse habitats and climates of Red Dead Redemption 2 are home to around 200 species of animals, birds, and fish, all of which behave and respond to their environment in a unique way. Deer, bison and pronghorn traverse the plains in large herds, scavengers quickly sniff out carrion, sockeye salmon leap upstream, wolves attack in packs surrounding their prey, geese fly in fixed formations, possums play dead, rodents scamper into tree hollows, grizzly bears bluff charge when threatened, and birds of prey soar on thermals. They all form part of a complex ecosystem and must continually fight for their place on the food chain. The wilderness is at once a bountiful and perilous place, for both man and beast, and any predator can quickly turn prey
Monster Hunter: World
PlayStation 4™, Xbox One™ & Steam – US, EU, & JAPAN
Capcom‘s Monster Hunter: World is on our list! This is an action role-playing game. You take the role of the Hunter as you are tasked to hunt down and either kill or trap monsters that roam around the area of the environmental spaces. It introduces you to the living, breathing ecosystem full of ferocious beasts.
Monster Hunter: World receives critical acclaims on how Capcom was able to make the game more accessible to the new players and to the Western players out there. Within the few weeks of release, Monster Hunter: World becomes the fastest-selling game in Capcom‘s history. After a few weeks, it became the best-selling game with 10.9 million copies shipped worldwide by September 2018.
- Welcome to the new World – Taking on the role of a hunter, players are tasked with going on a research expedition to a newly discovered continent known only as “new world” as they venture on quests to discover more about this mysterious land
- Living and breathing ecosystem – Utilize the surrounding environment and wildlife to your advantage. For example, pit monsters against one another to lure the main target creature to the right place, but be careful not to become hindered by the hazards they present
- Global simultaneous release – For the first time in the Monster Hunter series the latest title will release within the same launch window and unite hunters across the world with cross-region cooperative play options
- Online drop-in multiplayer – When the battle is too daunting to take on single-handedly, hail up to three other hunters to assist during quests by sending up a SOS flare to a worldwide server full of potential teammates
- Hunt to craft new gear – Defeat monsters and collect loot from fallen foes to craft equipment and weapons styled after the monsters that have been slain. Selecting the right loadout can help exploit enemy weaknesses to gain an advantage in battle
- Master the beasts – A variety of ferocious creatures inhabit the new world landscape including the series mainstay Rathalos and the all-new Anjanath. Players can mount the monsters with the dynamic riding mechanic, allowing them to travel along the monster’s body and deliver locational damage
- Seamless gameplay – Players and monsters can move from one map area to another freely and without loading screens whilst gameplay also dynamically transitions between night and day
PlayStation 4™ – US, EU, JAPAN & ASIA
Insomniac Games‘ pride is here on the list! Marvel’s Spider-Man is an action-adventure game based on the famous Marvel Comics superhero Spider-Man. It was released last September 7, 2018, worldwide.
In this game, it tells the original story about Spider-Man that is not related to any other existing piece of media. It covers both as Peter Parker and as Spider-Man in Manhattan, New York. However, he must balance his normal life as Peter Parker and his superhero life as Spider-Man while the fate of millions of civilians of New York rests upon his shoulders.
Video game critics have called this game as one of the best superhero games ever made. It praised its gameplay, graphics, narrative, characterization, and design of New York. It garnered 3.3 million copies in the first three days of release. It broke several sales record including the fastest-selling game in Sony Interactive Entertainment History, the fastest superhero game in the US history and best-selling PS4 games.
- Be Spider-Man – After eight years behind the mask, Peter Parker is a crime-fighting master. Feel the full power of a more experienced Spider-Man with improvisational combat, dynamic acrobatics, fluid urban traversal, and environmental interactions. A rookie no longer, this is the most masterful Spider-Man you’ve ever played
- Worlds Collide – The worlds of Peter Parker and Spider-Man collide in an original action-packed story. In this new Spider-Man universe, iconic characters from Peter and Spider-Man’s lives have been reimagined, placing familiar characters in unique roles
- Marvel’s New York is Your Playground – The Big Apple comes to life as Insomniac’s most expansive and interactive world yet. Swing through vibrant neighborhoods and catch breathtaking views of iconic Marvel and Manhattan landmarks. Use the environment to defeat villains with epic takedowns in true blockbuster action
Assassin’s Creed Odyssey
PlayStation 4™ & Xbox One™ – US, EU, AU & JAPAN
Ubisoft’s action role-playing video game is here as Assassin’s Creed Odyssey is the eleventh major installment and twentieth overall in the Assassin’s Creed series. This was released last October 5th, 2018 for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.
The game sets in 431 BCE four hundred years before the events of Assassin’s Creed Origins. You take the role of a mercenary and you must fight for the Delian League led by the Athens or the Peloponnesian League led by Sparta.
Video game critics praised the game by its open world, visuals, combat, story, and characters. However, it received criticism on grinding, microtransactions, and others.
- BECOME A LEGENDARY SPARTAN HERO – Embark on your journey from humble beginnings to living legend as Alexios or Kassandra. Customize your gear, upgrade your abilities, and personalize your ship on your path to becoming a Spartan hero
- ANCIENT GREECE AWAITS – From the heights of snowy mountain peaks to the depths of the Aegean Sea, explore an entire country full of untamed environments and cities at the peak of Greece’s Golden Age. Unexpected encounters will breathe life into your story as you meet colorful characters, battle vicious mercenaries, and more
- CHOOSE YOUR OWN PATH – Your decisions shape the world around you with over 30 hours of choice dialogue and multiple game endings. Experience a living, dynamic world that constantly evolves and reacts to your every decision
- FIGHT EPIC BATTLES – Show off your extraordinary warrior abilities and shift the tides of battle during one of the deadliest conflicts of the time, the Peloponnesian War. Charge into epic clashes between Sparta and Athens in big battles pitting 150v150 soldiers against each other
- SAIL ACROSS THE AEGEAN SEA – Find uncharted locations, uncover hidden treasures, or fight your way through entire fleets in naval battles. Customize the look of your ship, upgrade weaponry to suit your strengths, and recruit crewmembers with unique perks, tailoring naval combat to your style
- A LAND OF MYTHS AND LEGENDS – Discover a world rich with myths and legends. From ancient rituals to famed statues, come face to face with Greece’s legendary figures and discover the true nature of mythological beasts like Medusa and the Minotaur
PlayStation 4™, Xbox One™ & Steam – US, EU, JAPAN & ASIA
Soulcalibur VI is developed by Project Soul and published by Bandai Namco Entertainment for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One. Bandai Namco revealed the launch date for SoulCalibur VI at this year’s E3. So, unleash your inner warrior, sharpen your swords, and get ready for one epic battle.
For the first time in the franchise’s history, players will witness a stunning and jaw-dropping 3D character models, visual effects, and stages rendered in Unreal Engine 4.
On the other hand, SoulCalibur VI’s gameplay will follow the same tradition of its previous installments. The gameplay still involves two weapon-wielding warriors fighting against one another. Apart from that, the game also features a new mechanic known as Reversal Edge. This feature allows players to defend themselves on an approaching attack and immediately strike a counter attack while in guard, alongside a slow-motion effect.
Furthermore, players can choose from a diverse line-up of new and returning classic characters with their own deadly weapons, unique fighting styles and visual flare. SoulCalibur VI will include series mainstays such as Mitsurugi and Sophitia and newcomers like the special guest-character, Geralt of Rivia, from CD Projekt Red’s The Witcher series and GrØh.
For the overview of the game, SoulCalibur VI, as its name suggest, is the sixth entry in the SoulCalibur series developed and published by Bandai Namco Entertainment. After six years, the SoulCalibur series is back on track with this game. The game sets in the 16th century as it revisits the events of the first SoulCalibur game to unveil the hidden truth.
- The legendary weapon-based 3D fighting game returns to its roots
- State of the art graphics powered by Unreal Engine 4
- A complete roster of returning characters and newcomer
- An epic story mode of the struggle for the two swords
- Revamped gameplay mechanics for intense showdowns
- Dynamic fights enhanced by cinematic-styled combat
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Nintendo™ Switch – US, EU, & JAPAN
Nintendo‘s 2018 biggest crossover fighting game is on the list. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is the fifth installment in the Super Smash Bros. series. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate received universal acclaim as some critics said that this is the best Super Smash Bros. game ever. It praised the amount of content and fine-tuning of the Smash existing elements. With this, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is the fastest-selling Switch game ever. In just three days of release, Ultimate sold over five million copies worldwide.
First, it was teased in a Nintendo Direct presentation last March 2018. After a few months, Nintendo officially announced it during the game publisher’s presentation at E3 2018. The series creator and director, Masahiro Sakurai, revealed his goal in this game. He wanted to include every character from previous games despite the various official development and license.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is a fighting game up to 8 players which features iconic game characters from various Nintendo games and from other third-party franchise. The ultimate objective of the game is to knock each other out of the arena. Monitor your damage as a percentage meter is present. It makes easier to launch in the air and out of the arena. Everyone will join the party battle.
Everyone will join the party battle. All the characters that are previously featured in a Smash title, plus, upcoming DLC will be joining to the roster as well. Don’t worry, folks, all the moves have been enhanced for the Nintendo Switch version.
- New fighters, new stages, AND every fighter ever featured in the series… EVER!
- Inkling from the Splatoon series join the roster
- Ridley from the Metroid series also joins the fight
- Returning fighters include Wolf, Ice Climbers, Pokémon Trainer and more
- Elevate the Super Smash Bros. experience to new heights with faster combat, new attacks, new items, and new defensive options
- Hold a 4 player free-for-all, or kick it up to 8-player battles*
- All current Super Smash Bros. series amiibo™ figures are supported
Far Cry 5
PlayStation 4™ & Xbox One™ – US, EU, JAPAN & ASIA
The next on our list is the Ubisoft‘s Far Cry 5. This is an action-adventure first-person shooter developed by Ubisoft Montreal and Ubisoft Toronto and published by Ubisoft. It was released last March 27, 2018 for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.
Far Cry 5 has mostly positive critical reception upon release even though there was a controversy on the political conflicts as the game was heavily inspired by socio-political events. Despite that, the game critics praised the open world design, visuals, and soundtrack. The game is a commercial success and became the fastest-selling title in Far Cry franchise as it grosses over $310 million on its first week of release.
The game sets in the fictional Hope County, Montana. A preacher named Joseph Seed has risen above. He believes that he has been chosen by God to protect the residents of the Hope Country from danger. The danger is the Collapse, a global catastrophe that collapses the society in the future, However Joseph Seed is a radical preacher as he manages his cult which is the Eden’s Gate. He also takes the title “The Father” as he’s the Father of the Hope County for the Eden’s Gate. You take the role of a rookie sheriff’s deputy who is part to arrest Joseph Seed. However, there are truths beneath this cult. How will you manage as you discover the secrets of the Eden’s Gate and Joseph Seed‘s true nature?
- SPARK THE FIRES OF RESISTANCE AGAINST A FANATIC CULT – Stranded in hostile territory, find strength in the community around you to lead a resistance against a cult taking over Hope County, Montana
- CARVE YOUR OWN PATH – The freedom to go in any direction – you decide the when, the where, and the how. From the moment you enter Hope County you have the freedom to tackle the world in any order you choose
- A WORLD THAT EVOLVES – Play your way against Joseph Seed and his fanatical followers in a dynamic open world that adapts and reacts to the choices you mak
- DYNAMIC TOYS – Tear up the countryside in iconic American vehicles you can make your own; from muscle cars to big rigs, from ATVs to tractors
Pokémon: Let’s Go Pikachu!/Eevee!
Nintendo™ Switch – US, EU, AU, JAPAN & ASIA
The Pokémon Company surely brings back the iconic Pokémon series with Pikachu and Eevee in Pokémon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! and Pokémon: Let’s Go, Eevee! These are role-playing video games developed by Game Freak and published by The Pokémon Company. These games are the first installment for the main Pokémon series exclusively for Nintendo Switch. These are the enhanced version of the 1998 video game Pokémon Yellow. The game sets in the Kanto regions which feature more than 151 different species of Pokémon.
Pokémon Let’s Go received generally favorable reviews from the critics. The critics praised the gameplay, accessibility, nostalgia and the charm of the game. The game is sold over 3 million copies worldwide since the first week of release making the fastest-selling Nintendo Switch game.
- Become a top Pokémon Trainer on an adventure with Pikachu/Eevee!
- Encounter Pokémon in the Kanto region
- Play the entire game with a single Joy-Con controller or use the Poké Ball Plus accessory, which will light up, vibrate, and make sounds to bring your adventure to life
- Take your Pokémon for a stroll in your Poké Ball Plus
- Play a Pokémon adventure together cooperatively anytime, anywhere on one system by using another Joy-Con controller or Poké Ball Plus accessory (sold separately) to catch and battle alongside another player!
- Use Poké Ball Plus to connect with the Pokémon GO* app on compatible smartphones to catch Kanto region Pokémon
- Connect Poké Ball Plus to the Pokémon GO* app to catch Pokémon in the real world and gather items from Poké Stops without viewing your smartphone screen—meanwhile, carry Pokémon from Pokémon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! or Pokémon: Let’s Go, Eevee!
Call of Duty: Black Ops 4
PlayStation 4™ & Xbox One™ – US, EU, JAPAN & ASIA
Developed by Treyarch and published by Activision, Call of Duty: Black Ops 4(styled as Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII) is the latest entry in the Black Ops subseries and the 15th main installment in the Call of Duty overall franchise.
For the first time in the series, Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 won’t be having the series’ traditional single-player campaign mode. Instead, the upcoming game will feature the traditional multiplayer modes, various Zombie modes, and a Battle Royal mode as will called Blackout.
Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 received generally favorable to the critics. As upon release, Black Ops 4 becomes the best-selling digital launch in Activision’s history as it surpasses 2017’s Call of Duty: WWII. However, the physical launch sales were the lowest in the series for a decade.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Multiplayer raises the bar, delivering the most thrilling grounded combat experience yet with a focus on tactical gameplay and player choice. The game offers a new level of online action across a variety of new weaponry, maps and modes. For the first time, Multiplayer serves as the center of the game’s narrative, as players uncover a deeper connection to the role of each Specialist and their unique playstyles. With the return of the Pick 10 Create-a-Class system – and when combined with the new Gear category – gameplay becomes more customizable than ever, giving players choice over how to power up their Specialists. Combined with the ability to unlock devastating Scorestreaks along the way, players will have the opportunity to be dangerous alone, or unstoppable as a team
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 delivers the biggest Day 1 Zombies offering ever with three full experiences at launch, IX, Voyage of Despair, and Blood of the Dead. With an exciting new adventure and a brand-new cast of characters, Call of Duty: Black Ops 4’s Zombies will feature the deep gameplay and easter eggs that its fans have come to expect
- In Blackout, Black Ops comes to life in one massive battle royale experience, combining Black Ops signature combat and the biggest map in Call of Duty history. Play as fan-favorite characters and battle through iconic settings from the Black Ops universe. It’s a collision course bringing together the worlds of Black Ops in an all-out survival and elimination experience featuring weapons; equipment; land, sea, and air vehicles; RC-XDs; traps; and even Zombies in an experience that is uniquely Black Ops
Why not sign up for our newsletter and
be informed of our exclusive deals and upcoming sales first? Click the button below!